We asked Lindsay from Wine, Food & Friends for some inspiration in the kitchen! Introducing our holiday recipe series featuring beer-inspired cooking and pairing creations just in time for your holiday gatherings.
When I was approached by Big Rock to do some beer pairings, I was thrilled (because who doesn’t love beer?) and excited to get working on some delicious recipes! After tasting the Bourbon Barrel Dark Amber Ale, I immediately thought of burgers. But not just any burgers, deliciously meaty Lamb Burgers with a mustard mayonnaise and creamy sauteed onions. These delicious bites will up your burger game from ordinary to extraordinary, especially when paired with the smoky and caramel flavours of the Big Rock Bourbon Barrel Amber Ale.
- 6 burger buns
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 cups butter lettuce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ grainy Dijon mustard
For the burgers:
- 500g ground lamb
- 500g ground pork
- 2 tbs Worcestershire
- 1 tbs Rosemary
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your barbecue to medium. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the burgers and once fully combined, form the burger meat into 6 burger patties.
- Spray your grill with canola cooking spray or oil. Place the burger patties on the grill and grill until the burger reach an internal temperature of 160F and the burger juices run clear. Add the cheese when the burgers are close to done, to ensure cheese is melted. If desired, you can also grill the buns lightly before to add a little extra crunch.
- While the burgers are cooking, combine the Dijon mustard and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- For the onions, heat a medium skillet to medium-low heat. Add the onion, a tbs or two of oil and sprinkle a touch of salt (about 1/8 tsp). This will help prevent the onions from burning. Continue to saute until the onions are translucent. Set aside.
- To assemble the burgers, layer the buns with some Dijon mayonnaise, about 1 tbs of the sautéed onions, a few slices of roasted red peppers, a burger pattie and the butter lettuce. Crack open a beer and serve!