We asked Lindsay from Wine, Food & Friends for some inspiration in the kitchen! Introducing our holiday recipe series featuring beer-inspired cooking and pairing creations just in time for your holiday gatherings.
Jerk Chicken has always seemed daunting, but it actually is so easy. There are only 4 steps: blend all marinade ingredients, throw marinade in a bag with the chicken (and marinade overnight), cook chicken, sauce and veggies in a pot in the oven, serve jerk chicken on a bed of rice. That’s it.
The Big Rock Winter Spice beer adds the perfect flavours to compliment the jerk spices and adds that little something extra. Plus, what beer you don’t drink, you get to enjoy! A little beer for the dish, a little beer for you – pretty much the best way of cooking, really. So what is stopping you from making Jerk Chicken?
- 600g chicken thighs, skinless and boneless
- 1.5 cups rice, uncooked
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
For the marinade:
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbs ground allspice
- 1.4 cup brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped (leave seeds in or substitute habanero for extra spice)
- 6 tbs chopped garlic
- 2 tbs thyme
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup Big Rock Winter Spice beer (then drink the rest of the bottle yourself)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all of the ingredients for the marinade in a food processor or blender and blend until no large chunks remain. Place the chicken thighs and the marinade in a large resealable plastic bag and marinate in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
- Once you are ready to cook the chicken, preheat the oven to 375F. Place all of the thighs, marinade, sliced peppers and sliced onions in a large dutch oven and place in the oven. Cook for approximately 1.5 hours or until chicken is tender and easily pulls apart.
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the rice according to the package instructions.
- To serve, layer approximately 1 cup of rice and place the chicken thighs and sauce on top. Serve immediately alongside a fresh bottle of Winter Spice!